A two day, 20 hour immersion course in the use of the defensive handgun under extreme stress. Draw from concealment, two-handed stances, shooting from cover, one-handed stances with either hand, speed reloading, and more are taught with an overall emphasis on fast, accurate shot placement. The course will culminate in a police-style qualification course.
Prerequisite: basic understanding of firearms safety
Estimated ammo count: 500 rounds
Instructor: MAG Staff Instructor Nick Grossman
- A good quality handgun, suitable for self-protection and/or concealed carry. Remember that you will be firing approximately 500 rounds during this class, so ultra-lightweight firearms, though suitable for concealed carry, are not a good choice for class use. If you have any questions about the suitability of your gun, please contact us. It is a good idea to bring a spare gun, if you have one, just in case your primary gun breaks.
- A good quality holster. You need a strong-side, belt or IWB holster. For safety reasons, cross draw holsters, fanny packs, shoulder holsters, etc. are not allowed for use on the range. Again, if you have any questions, please contact us.
- A minimum of 3 magazines or speed loaders for your handgun
- A magazine pouch/holder for at least 2 of your spare magazines or speed loaders
- A sturdy belt, to support the above
- Hearing protection
- Eye protection
- Billed cap or other brimmed headwear
- At least 500 rounds of decent quality, reliable ammunition. Range ammunition (FMJ, etc.) is fine. You do not need to use premium self defense ammo for this course.
- Clothing suitable for the weather and the range. If necessary, we will finish our range work in whatever conditions exist at class time, live-fire classes run rain or shine.
- A flashlight. Although we will not be doing any night shooting, it can get getting dark fairly early and some of our facilities no lighting at the range. A flashlight might be handy for packing up your gear and getting to your car.
Audio or video recording of the class is not allowed.
Due to the nature of our instruction, it is necessary to provide us with one or more of the following:
a. Current State Issued Permit to carry a concealed handgun
b. Current FFL – Federal Firearms License
c. Current FOID Card (Illinois Residents only)
d. Current Police or Military ID
e. Other current proof of clean criminal record. Most sheriff’s departments will run these for you at a nominal fee, done routinely in many occupations